About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Saturday, June 12, 2010

Favorite Poet: A.E. Housman

A. E. Housman was the poet of my youth. He often wrote about death and dying young. For young men of my era, his poems especially resonated, though I am not sure anyone other than I was reading his poetry. I bought THE COLLECTED POEMS OF A. E. HOUSMAN in college and carried it everywhere with me. I also bought a biography, A DIVIDED LIFE, that speculated, using his poetry, that Housman was gay.

Eventually, during my Master's Degree in the Humanities, I took an independent study course in which I discussed three British poets who became associated with WWI: A. E. Housman, Rupert Brooke, and Wilfred Owen, who was also likely gay.

From A SHROPSHIRE LAD, my favorite line from Reveille: "Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep. / Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep."

From the same first collection, my favorite line from XXII: "What thoughts at heart have you and I / We cannot stop to tell; / But dead or living, drunk or dry, / Soldier, I wish you well."

Also from A SHROPSHIRE LAD, my favorite line from XXXIII: "If truth in hearts that perish / Could move the powers on high, / I think the love I bear you / Should make you not to die."

From the introduction poem to MORE POEMS: "They say my verse is sad: no wonder; / Its narrow measure spans / Tears of eternity, and sorrow, / Not mine, but man's."

Also from MORE POEMS, VII: "Stars, I have seen them fall, / But when they drop and die / No star is lost at all / From all the star-strewn sky."

The most revealing of his poems, from MORE POEMS, XXXI: "Because I liked you better / Than suits a man to say, / It irked you, and I promised / To throw the thought away."

The poem where I took the title of my volume of poetry, from LAST POEMS, from XXXIV The First of May: "For oh, the sons we get / Are still the sons of men."

His poetry got me through some very tough years in college especially, dealing with being gay. I had had one-sided crushes on two straight college chums: first Daylin at East LA JC and then Pat at Cal State Dominguez Hills. I somehow intuitively sensed that Housman had had similar, unrewarded longings in Victorian England where a man could be imprisoned for expressing such feelings. I would later, at the Academy teaching English, be reminded of how a similar punishment could swiftly and painfully follow being revealed as gay in the service.


No comments: