About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Gay Theater in Denver, Part III

After a couple of conversations and email exchanges with Steve Tangedal, I realized that I saw Ten Percent Review and even The Boys in the Band at Theater on Broadway's first venue, 135 S. Broadway. That was likely 1991, the first year I lived in Denver.

In addition, I got in on the first gay play in the new venue, 13 S. Broadway, Breeze From the Gulf by The Boys in the Band creator, Mart Crowley.

I was also there from the start of their "coming out" first gay season with the following productions:

Six Degrees of Separation
Raft of the Medusa
Jeffrey
The Boys in the Band


Obviously, I got hooked and made TOB a regular visit whenever a new production was mounted in the following years:

Love, Valour and Compasion
Howard Crabtree's When Pigs Fly
Howard Crabtree's Whoop Dee Doo
Poor Superman
Party
Execution of Justice
Cabaret
A Perfect Genesh


Steve informed me that he flew to Howard Crabtree's farm in Buck's County, PA, to load up the original off-Broadway costumes designed by Crabtree himself for TOB's production of Whoop Dee Doo. For When Pigs Fly, TOB had three different revivals.

That was the '90's. Unfortunately, and I cannot explain why, I never attended any performances after the late 1990's. In my next post, I will list the many productions that I missed, as well as finally explaining the "Bingo!" reverence.


No comments: