About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Monday, October 22, 2012

View from my seat at Super Bowl XI in Pasadena

Not one of the best seats in the stadium, but that's never really the point of attending a Super Bowl game when you cannot afford the best seats, or even afford to go today.
 
The top picture is of the nothing-spectacular opening ceremony.  The bottom photograph is one taken during a timeout in the first half of the game.
 
The Super Bowl may not have been spectacular in those days compared to today, but at least someone like me could acquire a single ticket and could actually afford one of those precious tickets.
 
Today, I would not even consider trying to acquire a ticket, not just that I would not be able to get a ticket through normal means (I am no longer a season-ticket holder for any team).  I could not afford to attend a game, even if it were being held in a location near me. 
 
The Super Bowl has become a monster, way out of proportion to anything that we normal people could afford to attend back when it was just barely over single Roman numerals and the tickets did not cost so much.
 
Having been to two Super Bowls and getting a ticket to a third, I felt fortunate enough then.  But after the Rams moved out of the Coliseum and to Anaheim, and then out of Southern California altogether, I moved on.  Professional football lost a fan.  Oh, I may watch a Super Bowl now and then; but it was never the same for me, and I don't watch the regular season any longer, and rarely I bother to watch most playoff games in any given year.
 
After the Rams departed, I pretty much gave up on the game permanently.  I suppose it was a more innocent time in the 1970's, compared to today.   


 

 

No comments: