About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Friday, May 28, 2010

House Votes to Repeal Don't Ask; Don't Tell

Even though it does not help me or my situation since my forced resignation was 31 years ago, when I had just turned 30, I have watched and awaited with great anticipation the results of President Obama's pledge to repeal this measure. Over two hundred House Democrats but only two Republicans voted for the repeal.

I never was critical of President Clinton's Don't Ask; Don't Tell policy because I knew that temporary, interim steps such as that would first be required before something more like full equality would occur. In addition, the Pentagon is completing a study to be published on December 1st. The President and the service branches will have to then sign off on the new policy after that. So, final victory is far from won. But when even the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff tells military personnel at the Academy that change is coming and ought to be accepted and will be good, then a great step is now being taken.

We have served in silence for generations. Many of us have died in silence during those same generations, serving our country and being patriotic in our nation's defense. We just were not given much credit for serving and dying. To my mind, Sgt. Leonard Matlovich was the first significant service member to fight the Pentagon's prejudice when he fought the Air Force back in the 70's. I awaited the results of his struggle since it began just a few years before my situation occurred. The Pentagon's policy left open the possibility of gay service members being retained under certain circumstances; however, the policy never defined what those special circumstances might be.

We were automatically assumed to be security risks because we were thought to be easy targets for blackmail by foreign agents. Though it was the Pentagon's own threat of automatic discharge that made us potential targets. That and the notion that we would impair unit morale. Now, seventy percent of Americans believe that we should be allowed to serve openly, just as most of us are allowed to live openly in American society.

We have served and died for this country. We have earned full equality with our blood for generations.

When I often began to doubt that I would ever see this occur in my lifetime now that I am 60, I take great courage and personal pride from this significant step forward. It is never too late to recognize the worth of people in our society. I now feel as if my full citizenship has finally been restored. At long last.


No comments: