About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cub Scout Uniform and First Communion Dress


That fireplace became a backdrop for several photographs. Here I am in my Cub Scout uniform, and Georgann is wearing her first communion dress.

Why do I always remember the unpleasant or embarrassing moments of my youth? Dad bought me the uniform, and we were to be sworn in at the Cafetorium at Laural Elementary School. Naturally, I wore my new uniform that night, only to be told by a friend backstage, just before we were to walk out and take the pledge, that I was NOT supposed to wear the uniform until AFTER the ceremony--I wasn't entitled to wear it until then. So, there I stood, feeling guilty during the whole pledge that everyone else there knew that I was wearing the uniform when I should not have been.

I'd been in Indian Guides before. This was the next logical step. We'd have our meetings in the neighborhood. Invariably, I would not use their restroom before I left for home. Halfway down their block, I would climb over a fence to the house next door to ours and reach our place quicker. One time, I just had to go and started to pee on the fence of the house directly behind ours. Out of nowhere, a voice reprimanded me, "Don't do that here!" I could not see where the man was standing, so I turned to climb over the fence and the voice again called out, "Don't do that!" I turned to head home the long way around, at least three more blocks of walking while having to go really, really bad.



No comments: