About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Saturday, May 12, 2012

Doug and Sue, in their Alaska apartment, 1968

The plane wasn't particularly full on that night flight to Anchorage--perhaps they would have let me sit beside the young businessman in first class.  Each way was only $75, on Northwest Airlines going and Alaska Airlines returning, because I took the late night flights that were much cheaper.  Frankly, there wasn't much to see out into the blackness of the Alaska coastline or the endless ocean at night.  If there was a moon, it wasn't close to being substantial.

Sometimes I could see the glaciers and snow pack, even in the darkness, reflecting what little light there was.  Once in a while, I would see an isolated light on, far below.  But that was it.

This being Northwest Orient, an international carrier to the Far East, we actually had a male flight attendant aboard, unlike on any domestic carrier or any other international U.S. carrier such as Pan Am.  When I returned from Marine OCS in 1972, U.S. carriers began hiring men as flight attendants.  But that was still four years away.

I believe we were served sandwiches on the flight and chips.  But that was not what was memorable.  The friendly male flight attendant served us fresh peaches after our snack.  And not just any peaches.  I have never, ever had a peach so delicious, so juicy and ripe and tender, before or since, in my entire life.  I believe that when he came around offering seconds, I nodded greedily.  Obviously, if I recall how remarkable the peaches were aboard that flight forty-four years ago, they were indeed memorable.

I should have had my camera out.  Our flight broke through a cloud layer high above Anchorage after midnight, local time.  The cloud formation encased a deep purple canopy, illuminating the entire city and body of water.  It was the richest color I had ever seen at night, probably because of the midnight sun and the clouds.

Doug and Sue met me at the airport, we headed back to their apartment, and I slept soundly the night through.         



No comments: