About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pat Byrne in the Marines

Pat Byrne was one of the nicest guys I have ever met.  He was also in the Marines, like Daylin.  But I believe he was infantry rather than support.  I met Pat through Sue, a classmate at California State College (now University) at Dominguez Hills.  He was dating a girl, April, who lived across the street from Sue.  Pat and I must have met sometime in the Spring of 1970, after I had transferred from East LA JC in the fall of 1969.

Unfortunately, like Daylin, Pat was not gay.  But that did not stop us from becoming friends.  I even told him once, after getting up sufficient courage, that I was attracted to him.  That didn't bother him, so he was certainly helpful toward my becoming comfortable with being gay.

I got a few photographs from him when I was one of the editors of the creative publication at Cal State Dominguez Hills.  I was putting in some of my poems and needed photographs to emphasize those pages.  He supplied several from his time in the Marines in Vietnam.



No comments: