About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Telegram Announcing My Birth


It took me over 48 hours to find this. I knew I had it stashed somewhere, I just didn't know where I had put it for safekeeping. The envelope that it was sent in is completely nibbled around the entire periphery, which looks like the work of mice. This telegram was sent to "Mrs. Geo. A. Sanchez, 43 Balboa Coves, Newport Beach, Calif." The telegram says I was born at 8:30 AM. My Photo Baby Album says 8:25 AM. My Certificate of Birth from Florida does not list a time of birth, so I will just have to suspect that my dad rounded up to the nearest half hour for Grandma Sanchez.

In those days, people rarely phoned long distance, mostly because of the cost (and most people had party lines, where more than one household shared the same phone line: watch the movie MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION from the early 60's). Obviously, there was no Internet, no emails. Telegrams were often the quickest way to inform someone of an event. It was also a succinct way to communicate since the sender was charge by the number of letters in the telegram.

Telegrams are now, of course, pretty much a thing of the past, though Google indicates with several entries that you can still send one. In the 1960's, 70's, and 80's, there were songs about telegrams: "Hey, Western Union Man", among others.



No comments: