About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Friday, April 27, 2012

Lombard Street, June 9, 1968

This was not our next stop.  Far from it.  We hiked down Nob Hill and walked through Chinatown, where I took a picture of Mike.  Our next destination was Coit Tower.  From there we might have passed through North Beach before heading to Russian Hill and Lombard Street. 

Perhaps my love of San Francisco began when my step-sister Pam got me a paperback book, a youth novel called MYSTERY OF THE GREEN CAT by Phyllis A. Whitney, which I still own.  I had devoured all of the Trixie Belden mysteries, and the Nancy Drew books, so this was a perfect novel for me.  (I think Pam acquired it by selling magazine subscription.) 

Set in San Francisco, a merged family similar to ours had two boys from the father and two girls from the mother.  Copyright 1957 and 1959, it cost only 50 cents (with the use of the cent symbol, no longer on keyboards).  The third printing, which I got, was from November of 1962.

The characters in the book lived on Russian Hill, not far from Lombard Street.  So memories from reading that book buzzed around in the back of my head when I was finally able to see Russian Hill up close.



      

No comments: