About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Monday, July 30, 2012

Ann and Greg, early 1970's, Southern California

These were from sometime during the early to mid-1970's.  I cannot say whether I was in the Air Force or not when these were taken--they were in mom's photo albums but, rare indeed, they have no writing on the backs of either one. 

The first is likely from the parking lot of the Del Amo Mall.  Mom's 1968 blue Ford Galaxy is behind us.  When mom was on her trip to Europe, I drove that car with Mike down to San Diego a couple of times in 1970.  It road so beautifully, much more comfortably than my 1966 Ford Mustang.

The second photograph is likely from Frontierland in Disneyland.  Ann has her Karen Carpenter look going on in both.  I am wearing the same brown pullover shirt with the white stripes in each one.

Daylin became friends with a guy who managed a modestly sized men's clothing boutique not far from Daylin's house.  I believe it was off Bullus Road.  I later learned that the guy had paid a doctor to provide fake medical documents that allowed him to avoid the draft and military service in Vietnam.

The clothing store carried all kinds and colors of these short-sleeved pullover shirts.  By the time I was in the Air Force, I had already acquired many of them a few years earlier; and so pictures of me in the 1970's wearing one or another of those shirts are prevalent.  I am the type who buys a bunch of new clothes at one time and then keeps them nice for years.  Sometimes, I would wear them long after they were no longer in fashion--most especially 1970's garish pants.

When I arrived at the Academy in 1978, and my neighbor and I attended a private party given by one of the other members of the English Department, I was told that my bright maroon corduroy pants and green shirt were quite out of date and a real fashion, and color mismatched, faux pas.

I also bought a slew of the short sleeve dress shirts from the same guy, again in several bright colors.  So, if I am not wearing one of those pullover shirts, I am wearing one of those dress shirts.




No comments: