About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Friday, July 27, 2012

OTS Flight picture, 1973

Back Row:  Brian Bauries, William H. "Cookie Monster" Campbell, unknown, George S. Tucker, unknown, Jimmy W. Thompson(?)

Middle Row:  Patrick J. Sanjenis, Linda L. Burgess, Pamala J. Long, Nancy Farris(?), Melvin S. Kaya

Bottom Row:  David C. Hunn, Gregory E. Sanchez, Flight Commander, Lyle C. Dunable, Gary G. Wolz.

Someone with better eyes and a better magnifying glass can probably read most of the name tags--I was able to fill almost all of them in by finding the graduation program.

Just a couple of days before this picture was taken, I received a note, telling me to report to a specific Sgt. in the basement office of one of the old admin buildings.

When I descended the stairs and entered his office, I was informed by a junior enlisted man that the Sgt. was not there.  He did begin to offer, in the slowest way possible, "He was...to tell you...that your application...for missile training...."  Then he paused a really long time, long enough for me, who was already increasingly leaning forward with each partial phrase, to almost fall over.   Then he slowly finished, "...has been...approved." 

I could have jumped up and hit my head on the ceiling I was so overjoyed.  I quickly thanked him and, with my heart now racing, marched to the OTSOM where the rest of the flight was gathered.  I told everyone what I had learned and that a round of drinks was on me, for if they had not spoken up when the Squadron Commander entered the classroom at least four weeks before, I would not still be there. 

Graduation was only one week away.  But now I was going to be a part of it all. 




2 comments:

bensailing said...

Just enjoying reading your blog. My father is in this photo with you, bottom row, Lyle C Dunable. Today is his birthday, and would be 65 if he was still with us. Cheers and thanks for documenting these times.

Greg Sanchez said...

Benjamin:

I am so genuinely sorry and sad to hear that your dad is no longer with us. I remember him well. Everyone at OTS liked him very much. He was funny and friendly and an all around wonderful guy. Our flight really benefited from his presence.

-Greg