About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Monday, December 17, 2012

Academic Building USAFA, Summer 1978

These are the first two photographs I took of the Air Force Academy academic building from the faculty parking lot.  The lot was on a hillock across a bridge from the building itself.  In winter, it was chilly walking those sidewalks to work after parking.  Heads of departments and a few others did get to park just outside the building or underneath in the parking garage reserved spaces.  Those of us regular instructors had to park on the hill.  But, as you can see even from these two photos, it was beautiful when the weather was glorious and warm, as it was much of the year.
 
Having spent my first four years and more in North Dakota, and often underground, working at the Academy was incredible.  I cannot even impart how exhilarated I felt working there every day.  The daily drive alone was immensely enjoyable.  I felt as if I were working at Valhalla.
 
I know it would all be over much too soon, but I was thrilled to be there while it all lasted.  Regardless of the backbiting and politics that seems a part of academia, I still tried not to notice, even when I was hearing the gossip and the complaints about my own joy of just being there amid like-minded colleagues.  Or so I thought they were like-minded.
 
The several departments were on the top floor.  The English Department offices were on the far right end of that floor, just before the gap that existed between the academic departments and the Cadet Library, visible in the top photograph.
 
Colonel Shuttleworth, the Department Chair, had his office in the very northeast corner.  No one who had an office by the window had anything but a remarkable view.  The new instructors got our offices on the aisle way, two offices in from the windows.  We had no view, but we could always walk over and take a long look whenever we wanted to.
 
I would not learn until later that the woman whose cubicle next to mine, toward the windows was also lesbian.  In fact, of the four women in the English Department, all but one was lesbian.  I, however, was probably the only man who was gay.  When I was forced to resign, I was replaced by an officer who was so obviously gay, it was rather ridiculous.  This was long before Don't ask; don't tell, but he told with every utterance and every movement.  Even I, who was often oblivious as to who was gay or lesbian and who was not, was fully aware that he was gay. 




No comments: