About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Monday, December 24, 2012

Olympic Gymnast Kurt Thomas, Doherty High School, Fall 1978

In the fall of 1978, my friend from Minot and the BOQ, John Ng, got tickets for us to go to Doherty High School, to see a gymnastics exhibition and match.  Olympian Kurt Thomas was there not to compete but to ensure a full house.
 
Here are two pictures of him just showing off. 
 
John Ng had moved to Colorado Springs after Minot the same summer.  When my money ran out and I was about to either sell or lose my house, he offered to let me live in his basement until I worked something out.  Fortunately, I was able to get a job at Kaman Sciences in the Spring of 1980 and keep my house.
 
I would run into John for years afterward.  I had bought at least two Sony Betamax video recorders when we lived in Minot.  He continued his independent electronics business for a few years until he left the Air Force, always wishing that he could have given me his commission instead of just resigning it.




No comments: