About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Monday, December 24, 2012

Me at Pikes Peak, and the Navigator's retreat, Spring 1979

Obviously, Roger took the picture of me with Garden of the Gods in the background.
 
The photograph on the right is of the Navigator's retreat.  This castle was built by General Palmer for his wife.  If I recall, she never really liked living there and spent most of her years back east.
 
Sometime after General Palmer died, his house and grounds were donated to the religious group, the Navigators as a conference center and retreat.  It's not always been easy to get to see the grounds as they began to require reservations and usually well in advance.
 
When I see myself smiling in that picture, I realize that only a couple of months later, and my career would effectively be over.  In about seven or so months, it would officially be over.
 
One of the officers in the department would tell Gina Martin that I ought to move to some city like Denver where I would be more tolerated than I would in Colorado Springs.  If I had not already intended to remain in my home, whatever the cost, this surreptitious remark, probably not meant to reach me, maximized my determination to remain.




No comments: