About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Monday, December 24, 2012

Mom's apartment, Harbor Towers, Christmas 1978

I had not intended to return to Southern California for Christmas vacation when I was teaching at the Academy during the break of Christmas 1978.  However, one of my students from San Diego urged me to drive so that he could hitch a ride as far as Tucson--he would help with the driving on the way.
 
We took I-25 south through Albuquerque.  Before we reached El Paso, we turned West and continued across southern New Mexico and Arizona until Tucson.  I dropped him off at his parents' house and stayed at a Holiday Inn in Tucson before driving on.  I believe we stopped somewhere along the way near Santa Fe the first night and had dinner at a motel restaurant.  He found a hair in his food.
 
After my motel stay in Tucson, I continued across to San Diego and turned north to San Pedro, staying with mom and visiting friends and family.
 
Unfortunately, I had to drive back to Colorado Springs by myself since the cadet found another way to get back to the Academy.  (He may have flown from San Diego.)
 
The drive back was rather boring.  At the New Mexico-Colorado border, Raton Pass, the roads were very icy and the drive a bit treacherous in a car with rear wheel drive and me without chains.  But I made it back home all right.




No comments: