About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Monday, August 6, 2012

BOQ room, Minot AFB, December 1974

My room was in the lower left of the picture, right above the building heating system.  In winter it could get way too hot.  I would have to leave the window open a crack to get some air; otherwise, I would be totally dried out by morning.  A friend, Verne Weber, who lived down the hall initially said he coped with the dry air by leaving glasses of water around his room to evaporate and provide a bit of moisture.  These day you could certainly buy a humidifier.

I lived in that room through 1977, I believe, about a year before I left Minot in June of 1978.  During the only blizzard during which I was not stuck out on alert was fine being here with my TV and my music.  During another snow storm, not quite a blizzard, improbably there was lightning.  The low clouds and snowfall caused the lightning to make aqua flashes of light amidst the clouds.

Another friend in the BOQ, over in the bungalows, built two large record shelves for me to hold my expanding collection.  He also built a beautiful wooden stand with wheels to contain my stereo system.

One summer, I got some dependent kids in trouble.  They went down the stairs and into the heating equipment room.  I had no idea that they were down there to smoke pot.  I thought they were just there to cause mischief, so I called the Security Police.  They came and hauled them off.  I only later learned that they were just there to hide out and puff away.




No comments: