About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Friday, August 3, 2012

Greg at George Air Force Base, December 1973

This photograph was certain not taken with an Instamatic camera.  And it did not look like Minot AFB or even Vandenberg.  It was just out of order in my photo album.

I heard from Dennis Zito that his brother, David, was at George AFB, going through training as an F-4 backseater.  After mom and I returned to Southern California after OTS commissioning, I drove up to George AFB one late afternoon, arriving there in the evening.

I was in uniform, or course.  (It was tough to get me to take it off.)  We went to dinner at the Officer's Club.  One of David's friends noted my uniform and said, "You're proud of those brown bars?"

"Yes," I responded, not bothering to go into the details of how I had just managed to earn them.  The next morning, having stayed in David's room at the VOQ, or I could have gotten one of my own, David took this picture in the parking lot out front of the VOQ.  I believe that's his car in the foreground.

He had bought a pair of large Advent speakers, hence my purchase of them when I was at Vandenberg.  By the time I arrived at Vandenberg, David was already stationed elsewhere.

After this picture was taken, I then drove back to San Pedro.

I'd even gone to the Long Beach Naval Ship Yard Base Exchange and bought mom a few Christmas gifts, like a new set of cookware. 

Damn, I love being in the military.  (The photograph above had David's writing on the back, indicating when and where the picture was taken.  He must have mailed it to me after it was developed.)


 

No comments: