About This Blog ~ This blog is about a series of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) super-hero, sci-fi, fantasy adventure novels called Rainbow Arc of Fire. The main characters are imbued with extraordinary abilities. Their exploits are both varied and exciting, from a GLBT and a human perspective. You can follow Greg, Paul, Marina, Joan, William, and Joseph, as well as several others along the way, as they battle extraordinary foes or take on environmental threats all around the globe and even in outer space. You can access synopses of the ten books using the individual links on the upper, left-hand column.





The more recent posts are about events or issues that either are mentioned in one or more books in the series or at least influenced the writing of the series.










Friday, August 3, 2012

EC-121 at Wright-Patt, June 1974

When I was at OTS, we had an aircraft identification exercise just for fun in the classroom.  I was the only one able to identify an EC-121, the military modification of the Lockheed Constellation.

When we were ready to leave Wright-Patterson for Minot by civilian carriers, we had our loaded weapons to be concerned about.  I called the base and learned that I was supposed to have picked up two weapons boxes to ship the guns back to Minot.  I flat missed that part of the written instructions.

I had to call TWA to let them know what was going on.  They said it was all right as long as we kept the weapons, unloaded, in our checked bags.  Inside the plane, I sat at a window seat to ensure that my suitcase with the guns inside made it aboard without incident.

The whole flight back and the change of planes in Minneapolis to North Central Airlines was a bit nervous for me.  If the guns were somehow lost or stolen, it would be my head.

Fortunately, they arrived when we did, and the two of us checked them back in at the base armory, relieved.  Because nothing went wrong, this trip was a nice mark for my first Officer's Effectiveness Report.





No comments: